A Himalayan salt block has a lot of uses in today’s world. Some people use them as decorative ornaments; others as a place to put a tea light and enjoy the health benefits this affords.
Still more use Himalayan salt in the kitchen; it can even be used to cook food! Whichever your requirements you should know how long does a Himalayan salt block last.
Let’s find out the answers!
What Is A Himalayan Salt Block?
Himalayan salt is a good source of Sodium, as well as other trace minerals such as Potassium, Iron, Magnesium and Calcium. As well as being used in cooking, you can actually cook on a Himalayan salt block!
This kitchen tool is growing in popularity as more people find out about them. They can be heated on the stove top or in the oven, and used to heat foods – or you can even use them as novelty plates!
Salt blocks are ideal for cooking various meats and fish, as well as for eggs and some fruits and vegetables. Cooking this way imparts minerals and a distinctive yet mild salt flavor to your food.
Alternatively, because the salt retains either a hot or cold temperature for a long time, they can also be used to keep foods chilled, as well as to cook them or keep them warm.
How Long Does A Himalayan Salt Block Last?
Your Himalayan salt block, provided you use it as directed and treat it with care, should last you for at least a year. If you use it less often and store it well, it could last even longer.
Salt is not as permanent a material as metal or stone, so chances are it will deteriorate over time – washing it and cooking with it without drying it correctly can reduce its lifespan.
It is also recommended that you do not use your salt block for cooking greasy foods as this can damage it and cause it to wear out sooner than it usually would – this is partly because you will have to wash it more thoroughly.
How To Use A Himalayan Salt Block
- Make sure your salt block is completely dry before you start to use it; leftover moisture can make it crack as you are using it.
- Heat it up slowly. Placing it straight into a hot oven or onto a hob will potentially crack it, so preheat gently before you use it.
- Don’t use cooking fat. Anything you are cooking should be placed directly onto the block, without any oils or butter, as this can affect the lifespan of your block.
- Cut foods into small pieces before cooking them on your block; larger pieces will take longer to cook and will absorb more of the salt.
- To use your block in the oven, preheat it slowly to prevent cracking, then simply place whatever you want to bake on top of it. You will notice a faint salty taste to whatever you cook on this!
- These blocks retain temperatures well, so ensure that you leave it to cool before you handle it after cooking with it.
- If you are using your salt block to keep foods chilled, place it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before you start to use it.
- To clean it, use a damp cloth. Don’t add it to the washing up bowl, as water can start to dissolve it over time.
A Himalayan salt block is an awesome addition to your life, whether you are using it for cooking, decoration or to hold a little candle. Now that you now it is virtually indestructible, you can enjoy its various benefits for even longer.